A simple question

From: v.demartino@tin.it
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 00:00:02 PDT

    Under Debian potato I'd installed one deb package which provided in one shot
    both the Gimp (1.1) and the Sane frontends and backends (all 1.0.1).
    Unfortunately, sane backends didn't support my epson perfection 1240 USB
    scanner. Therefore I de-installed the debian package downloaded the latest
    frontends and backends (1.0.4) and compiled them. Xscanimage, scanimage and
    xsane now works great! But, the Debian Gimp package alone (I mean, another
    deb package giving Gimp 1.1 only) I've installed isn't "integrated" in the
    context. It doesn't acquire images directly using xscanimage, and, I frankly
    don't know why, is unable to print on my printer but only on a
    file.....irritating!!!
    My question is as simple as that:
    Starting from the very beginning of my story, let's suppose that I had
    installed the original Debian package with the Gimp (1.1) and the Sane
    frontends and backends (all 1.0.1), perfectly integrated and working (with
    the exception of the scanner). Then, suppose I had compiled the 1.0.4
    backends downloaded from the official site. Is it possible to make the newly
    compiled backends 1.0.4 work properly with the older frontends 1.0.1?
    Ciao
    Vittorio