Re: A simple question

From: MRZ (mrz.pct@home.com)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 08:00:33 PDT

    [Vittorio]
    > Under Debian potato I'd installed one deb package which provided in one shot
    > both the Gimp (1.1) and the Sane frontends and backends (all 1.0.1).

    What package is that? My experience with Debian is that sane, xsane and
    gimp are apt-get'd as separate packages..

    [Vittorio]
    > Unfortunately, sane backends didn't support my epson perfection 1240 USB
    > scanner. Therefore I de-installed the debian package downloaded the latest
    > frontends and backends (1.0.4) and compiled them. Xscanimage, scanimage and
    > xsane now works great! But, the Debian Gimp package alone (I mean, another
    > deb package giving Gimp 1.1 only) I've installed isn't "integrated" in the
    > context. It doesn't acquire images directly using xscanimage, and, I frankly
    > don't know why, is unable to print on my printer but only on a
    > file.....irritating!!!

    I'm not sure what qualifies as "integrated" in this context, because as
    far as I can tell from reading the man for xsane the only thing that
    "integrates" xsane with gimp is a symbolic link that you create in the
    gimp plug-in directory.

    Marc.