Re: A simple question

From: v.demartino@tin.it
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 01:19:19 PDT

    > [Vittorio]
    > > Under Debian potato I'd installed one deb package which provided in
    one
    > shot
    > > both the Gimp (1.1) and the Sane frontends and backends (all 1.0.1).

    [Marc]
    > What package is that? My experience with Debian is that sane, xsane and
    > gimp are apt-get'd as separate packages..

    Under Debian potato 2.2r2 you find the following *.deb packages (see
    dselect)
    gimp
    gimp1.1
    sane-gimp1.1 (what I've been referring to in my message!)
    sane
    Therefore starting from scratch if you dselect or apt-get sane-gimp1.1
    you'll have the gimp, xsane, xscanimage and the likes installed and working
    together.

    > [Vittorio]
    > > Unfortunately, sane backends didn't support my epson perfection 1240
    USB
    > > scanner. Therefore I de-installed the debian package downloaded the
    latest
    > > frontends and backends (1.0.4) and compiled them. Xscanimage, scanimage
    and
    > > xsane now works great! But, the Debian Gimp package alone (I mean,
    another
    > > deb package giving Gimp 1.1 only) I've installed isn't "integrated" in
    the
    > > context. It doesn't acquire images directly using xscanimage, and, I
    > frankly
    > > don't know why, is unable to print on my printer but only on a
    > > file.....irritating!!!
    [Marc]
    > I'm not sure what qualifies as "integrated" in this context, because as
    > far as I can tell from reading the man for xsane the only thing that
    > "integrates" xsane with gimp is a symbolic link that you create in the
    > gimp plug-in directory.
    I meant I could no longer acquire images through xsane under the Gimp (even
    though I had set the right plug-ins), and, utterly annoying, the printer was
    no longer usable, I had the only option of printing on a file.
    Now I'll have a go at what Henning suggested
    Ciao
    Vittorio