Solaris 7 setgid problem

From: Larry (lra@eau.net)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 01:22:32 PDT

    I have a SPARCstation running Solaris 7 on which I have installed both
    the sane-backends-1.0.4 and sane-frontends-1.0.4 and, as suggested, made
    the the scanner device permissions 660 with group "scanner". I have also
    made scanimage and xscanimage setgid with group scanner as well. scanimage
    is working fine and I have no problems with it.

    However, when I run xscanimage, I get a "warning" message from the GTK+
    library (1.2) telling me that I can't run setgid programs with it (it
    also mentions something about a wrapper program). It then refuses to
    load and subsequently exits. I followed the URL mentioned in the warning
    message, but it didn't really enlighten me.

    I'm sure somebody must have run into this problem before. Does anybody
    have any suggestions on how to get around this problem?

    Thanks in advance,

    Larry Ader
    lra@eau.net