Re: Solaris 7 setgid problem

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (henning@meier-geinitz.de)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 09:03:58 PDT

    On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 03:22:32AM -0500, Larry wrote:
    > However, when I run xscanimage, I get a "warning" message from the GTK+
    > library (1.2) telling me that I can't run setgid programs with it (it
    > also mentions something about a wrapper program). It then refuses to
    > load and subsequently exits. I followed the URL mentioned in the warning
    > message, but it didn't really enlighten me.
    >
    > I'm sure somebody must have run into this problem before. Does anybody
    > have any suggestions on how to get around this problem?

    I have never seen this problem. I have just tested this with gtk 1.2.8
    -> no problem. Maybe you have a modified version of GTK?

    But why do you want to set the gid bit? Can't you just add all users
    who are allowed to scan to the group "scanner"? Or am I missing
    something?

    Another solution is to use saned.

    As you are using a somewhat exotic platform/os (at least compared to
    Linix/i386 :-), could you please have a look at
    http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-support.html and tell us which
    compiler was used and if everything that's in the columns work.

    It would be even nicer if you could do the same after SANE 1.0.5 is
    released :-)

    Bye,
      Henning

    Bye,