Re: Recommend a USB scanner with Transparency Scanning

From: Geoff Ghose (geoff@focus.neusc.bcm.tmc.edu)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 09:38:00 PDT

    The Doctor What wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I was hoping someone could recommend a good scanner for me.
    >
    > Background:
    > I have a UMAX Astra 610 or 620 scsi. It's okay, but getting this
    > thing to work with my Adaptech 2940UW is next to impossible (I've
    > done it before, but it's always a pain). That is, I can't even get
    > my system to boot reliably, forget loading linux. In the past, it
    > locked up my system often under Linux, less ofter under Win9x.
    >
    > So I thought I'd get a USB scanner, since USB seems to be working
    > well under Linux.
    >
    > I'm looking for one that I can do transparency scanning with, as I
    > am rather sick of having my carefully adjusted photos (I tend to
    > take 3 or 5 of them, each with different f-stops, etc) all color
    > corrected into mediocraty.
    >
    > I'm not looking to print photos with my scans (yet), so I don't
    > really need 2400dpi scanning, but more is better.
    >
    > I have $200 I can spend on the scanner, but I may (or may not) go
    > higher.
    >
    > I was looking at the Epson Perfection 1240U photo and 1640SU photo
    > based on the Epson sane driver page page.

    I have a 1240U photo, but your not going to find it for $200. I think mine was about $300
    with the transparency adapter. I think it's a very good scanner for its price.

    It works very with Linux, after I made a timeout patch described on the sane driver page.
    Definitely plug and play.

    I often scan 35 mm negative film, and I think the results are good but not outstanding. I
    use a resolution of 1800 dpi, but anything above 1200 is accomplished with interpolation
    and therefore might want to be avoided. At these settings you have "mega-pixel" resolution.
    The shortcoming is the optical density, although it's not bad (3.0 I think), a larger
    dynamic range would really help. For scanning slides, it is even more critical. (I've only
    scanned negatives).

    I believe the 1640U has a higher optical density but I don't have direct experience with it.