Recommend a USB scanner with Transparency Scanning

From: The Doctor What (list.sane@docwhat.gerf.org)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 09:11:40 PDT

    Hi!

    I was hoping someone could recommend a good scanner for me.

    Background:
    I have a UMAX Astra 610 or 620 scsi. It's okay, but getting this
    thing to work with my Adaptech 2940UW is next to impossible (I've
    done it before, but it's always a pain). That is, I can't even get
    my system to boot reliably, forget loading linux. In the past, it
    locked up my system often under Linux, less ofter under Win9x.

    So I thought I'd get a USB scanner, since USB seems to be working
    well under Linux.

    I'm looking for one that I can do transparency scanning with, as I
    am rather sick of having my carefully adjusted photos (I tend to
    take 3 or 5 of them, each with different f-stops, etc) all color
    corrected into mediocraty.

    I'm not looking to print photos with my scans (yet), so I don't
    really need 2400dpi scanning, but more is better.

    I have $200 I can spend on the scanner, but I may (or may not) go
    higher.

    I was looking at the Epson Perfection 1240U photo and 1640SU photo
    based on the Epson sane driver page page.

    What are other people's experience?

    Thanks for your time. :-)

    Ciao!

    --
    "Laugh while you can, monkey boy!"
    		--Dr. Emilio Lizardo (Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai)

    The Doctor What: Un-Humble http://docwhat.gerf.org/ docwhat@gerf.org KF6VNC