Re: No scanners identified

From: Daniel Karlsson (danka@home.se)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 14:08:22 PST

    Eddy De Greef wrote:

    > Daniel Karlsson wrote:
    > >
    > > I have a Mustek 600 III EP Plus scanner connected to the parallel port.
    > > When I try to run "scanimage -L" I get a message stating that no
    > > scanners were identified and that I should try "find-scanner" tool and
    > > read some documentation. The problem is that I have a parallel port
    > > scanner, but that program and documentation only covers scsi-scanners.
    > >

    > There are three likely causes for your problem:
    >
    > 1) You don't have access to the parallel port.
    >
    > You can easily verify if you log in as root and then try to scan.
    > If that works, you should either run the saned daemon (see
    > documentation), or make scanimage setuid root (not recommended).

    It appears to me that the problem is connected to wrong access rights.
    However, it's not the parallel port, since I can both read and write to
    it, for instance with "echo Hello > /dev/lp0".
    The string will then appear on the printer also connected to the port.

    Running scanimage as root will cause an error in loading libraries
    (undefined symbol: outb), which indicates that the program progresses
    beyond the point described in my problem.

    The immediate question is: What other resources than the parallel port
    are accessed?
    The somewhat more remote problem is how to get rid of the undefined
    symbol.

    Regards,
    Daniel