Re: No scanners identified

From: Eddy De Greef (degreef@imec.be)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 02:06:00 PST

    Daniel Karlsson wrote:

    > I have a Mustek 600 III EP Plus scanner connected to the parallel port.
    > When I try to run "scanimage -L" I get a message stating that no
    > scanners were identified and that I should try "find-scanner" tool and
    > read some documentation. The problem is that I have a parallel port
    > scanner, but that program and documentation only covers scsi-scanners.

    There are three likely causes for your problem:

      1) You don't have access to the parallel port.

         You can easily verify if you log in as root and then try to scan.
         If that works, you should either run the saned daemon (see
         documentation), or make scanimage setuid root (not recommended).

      2) You haven't enabled the mustek_pp driver.
         You should add a line "mustek_pp" to dll.conf, which you can
         find in /usr/local/etc/sane.d/ or /etc/sane.d. (You may have to
         restart saned after this; I'm not sure).

      3) The port number in your mustek_pp configuration file doesn't match
         the actual port number.
         You can probably find the actual lp port number in /proc/ioports.
         That number should match the one that you have in your mustek_pp.conf
         file (usually located in /usr/local/etc/sane.d/ or /etc/sane.d).
         You should also uncomment the 600III EP section in that file and
         comment out the other model sections; otherwise you get a bogus
         scanner name.

    You may find more information about it on Jochen Eisinger's page:
    http://home.germany.net/freestyle/sane/

    Best regards,

    Eddy