Re: No scanners identified

From: David Gesswein (djg@drs-esg.com)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 14:22:35 PST

    > Running scanimage as root will cause an error in loading libraries
    > (undefined symbol: outb), which indicates that the program progresses
    > beyond the point described in my problem.

    I am not sure this is relevant but when I was doing some direct parallel
    port programming I saw that. You must compile with optimization or you
    will get the undefined outb, see the man page clip below.

    Also if it is using outb it needs to be suid root since that is privliged
    when accessing ports above 0x3ff which some of the extended parallel
    port registers are. I have a SCSI scanner so don't know how this all
    relates to sane.

    OUTB(2) Linux Programmer's Manual OUTB(2)

    NAME
           outb, outw, outl, outsb, outsw, outsl - port output
           inb, inw, inl, insb, insw, insl - port input
           outb_p, outw_p, outl_p, inb_p, inw_p, inl_p - paused I/O

    DESCRIPTION
           This family of functions is used to do low level port
           input and output. They are primarily designed for inter­
           nal kernel use, but can be used from user space, given the
           following information in addition to that given in outb(9)

           You compile with -O or -O2 or similar. The functions are
           defined as inline macros, and will not be substituted in
           without optimization enabled, causing unresolved refer­
           ences at link time.

    David Gesswein
    http://www.pdp8.net/ -- Run an old computers with blinkenlights
                             Have any PDP-8 stuff your willing to part with?