advice re modifications to a umax scanner

From: Richard Beare (Richard.Beare@cmis.CSIRO.AU)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 21:14:08 PST

    Hi everyone

    I'm planning on building a machine that uses parts from a umax powerlook
    III. The idea is to use the scan head and control board and throw away
    the rest so that we can have a device with a moving table and a
    stationary scan head. The xy-table is going to be driven by a motion
    controller that is capable of considerably higer accuracy than the
    typical scanner internals. My plan is to have the motion controller
    reading the signals that usually drive the stepper motor and sending
    appropriate signals to the table to duplicate the expected motion. It
    will also be necessary to take over the end position sensor. I'm just
    starting to go through the code now with the aim of figuring out how
    much of the calibration and homing is controlled by the PC and how much
    is controlled by the embedded firmware.

    I'd appreciate any advice that people can offer on this kind of thing.

    Thanks

    --
    Richard Beare, CSIRO Mathematical & Information Sciences
    Locked Bag 17, North Ryde, NSW 1670, Australia

    Richard.Beare@cmis.csiro.au