Re: Setting up HP ScanJet 5P on Solaris 8 SPARC

From: John Craig (jcraig@agen.ufl.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 16:40:47 PST

    From your probe-scsi output, it seems kind of strange, because you have 2
    scsi busses, but both of them say "unit 0" I don't know if this is normal
    or not. In any case, I don't know if the generic scsi driver from Joerg
    Schillig plays well with this setup, or even if it supports Solaris 8. Oh
    well.

    At least you have XVscan. Did you get this working with the commercial
    generic scsi driver for solaris that they sell together with XVscan? Does it
    come with documentation? Is this conflicting with Schillig's generic scsi
    driver?

    As far as my setup, it is a Sparc4 running Solaris 7, and an Acer 610ST
    scanner. Right now, it scans locally, and supports network scanning, but
    using the preview function causes the scanning client (frontend) to crash,
    so when you are scanning, you are "flying blind." You can define the scan
    area roughly according to the position your document is in on the scanning
    surface, and you get an image of that area, no problem, but not being able
    to preview sucks. This is driving me nuts, because I can't see any reason
    why this should happen.

    I may try moving the whole setup to an Ultrasparc 10 box that we have here,
    and seeing if I have any better luck on a newer 64 bit machine.

    Cheers!

    John Craig