Re: advice re modifications to a umax scanner

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 11:29:07 PST

    Richard Beare wrote:

    > Hi everyone
    >
    > I'm planning on building a machine that uses parts from a umax powerlook
    > III. The idea is to use the scan head and control board and throw away
    > the rest so that we can have a device with a moving table and a
    > stationary scan head. The xy-table is going to be driven by a motion
    > controller that is capable of considerably higer accuracy than the
    > typical scanner internals. My plan is to have the motion controller
    > reading the signals that usually drive the stepper motor and sending
    > appropriate signals to the table to duplicate the expected motion. It
    > will also be necessary to take over the end position sensor. I'm just
    > starting to go through the code now with the aim of figuring out how
    > much of the calibration and homing is controlled by the PC and how much
    > is controlled by the embedded firmware.

    Hi Richard,

    did you get the umax scsi scanner documentation?
    There is a link on my homepage.

    The umax scsi scanners do almost all in firmware.
    In general I do not see a problem in what you do.
    Two things you have to care about:
    1) calibration is done on a white part in the
    scanner chassis.
    2) The maximum scanlength is selected by the driver
    by setting a integer value based on 1/1200 dpi. I think the
    value has a size of 2 bytes. The umax scanners do not test
    if the selected scanlength is larger than the way the
    scanhead can be moved, so you should be able to set the value
    to 7fff hex or to ffff hex. This means you should be able to scan
    up to 27 or 54 inch.

    There also is a parameter that is planed to change the 1/1200 dpi
    but I do not know if any umax scanner does use this parameter.

    Good Luck
    Bye
    Oliver

    --