Re: please advise: Mustek 12000SP, NCR810 & color stripes

From: FJA van Zijp (ferencj@xs4all.nl)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 13:49:45 PST

    > > I know. I pulled them both, the SC200 has a 53C810A chip and the
    > > brandless one has a 53C810AE chip. Unlike the Asus, the last one
    > > does not have a jumper to terminate the bus - I hope it does auto-
    > > termination. But whatever it does, it works for the Mustek.
    > *My* brand-less 810 SCSI controller card, which according to
    > /proc/scsi/ncr53c8xx/0 is a:
    > Chip NCR53C810, device id 0x1, revision id 0x2

    Well, over here /proc claims the same thing. But I meant to say I looked at the
    ICs themselves, and they are labeled as described. BTW, Symbios doesn't
    mention an 810AE on it's site but 825AE does exist, see
    http://www.lsilogic.com/techlib/techdocs/storage_stand_prod/index.html
    (From LSI:) compared to the 825A, the 825AE differs little, it has certain
    Microsoft PC 97 enhancements for power management support.
    I assume the same goes for the 810A and 810AE.

    > My (Relisys) Scanner has fixed passive
    > termination behind it's nonstandard 25 pin SCSI socket.

    Despite it's willingness to resume it's normal duties, I opened up the scanner
    casing. Could not find a hint of termination in mij Mustek ScanExpress
    12000SE, but that's me being blind to electronics. I'd like to remove the PCB
    to scan it, but... :-D
    Let me state again that an active terminator on my Mustek wreaks havoc on
    scanned images - which contradicts the Mustek backend homepage, but I
    speak for my scanner only.

    > does *not* do any sort of auto termination (I don't believe that any
    > 810 *does*, but don't quote me).

    I think I read somewhere that certain ICs exist which implement active
    termination. These chips can be used by manufacturers in SCSI devices.
    Maybe there are auto-terminating chips too?

    > May I recommend the "SCSI FAQ" and the no longer maintained
    > "Linux SCSI HOWTO" as two valuable sources of information
    > about SCSI in practice.

    Very recommendable sources of information, but they say little on how [fill in
    your favorite scanner-brand here] implemented SCSI. I for one have never
    been able to attach my Mustek to a SCSI chain with more than just a SCSI
    adapter. And I have tried a few adapters and devices.
    YMMV of course.

    cheers

    Ferenc