Re: please advise: Mustek 12000SP, NCR810 & color stripes

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 13:19:04 PST

    On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 08:02:42PM +0100, FJA van Zijp wrote:
    > Ah. I just remembered something. I have tried to connect the
    > scanner and a zip drive to one NCR810 card on another machine.
    > Under Windows 98 this yielded results very much like my current
    > images. Maybe this is a SCSI [cabling] problem?

    May be possible.

    > I've read somewhere (in SANE docs?) that this Mustek should be
    > terminated (by me).

    My experience is that it is not necessary to use termination if only
    the scanner is connected to the SCSI bus. At least this works with all
    the Mustek scanners, the adapters supplied by Mustek, the Adaptec 2940
    and my 810 clone. But you never know and according to the specs it
    must be terminated.

    > But my active terminator makes the line
    > phenomena a lot worse. What is it with this scanner? Doesn't it
    > follow SCSI specs, or has it auto-termination?

    It doesn't have auto termination.

    > Ok. If anyone else is interested, find it on:
    > http://www.xs4all.nl/~ferencj/sane_debug.html

    I will look more closely to the output later, but it can take some days.

    > Well, it does seem to be a SCSI problem, or am I wrong.

    From your description i think you are right.

    Bye,
      Henning