Re: please advise: Mustek 12000SP, NCR810 & color stripes

From: Mark Plowman (mplowman@wxs.nl)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 09:38:53 PST

    > From: "FJA van Zijp" <ferencj@xs4all.nl>
    > Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 07:18:05 +0100
    >
    > I know. I pulled them both, the SC200 has a 53C810A chip and the
    > brandless one has a 53C810AE chip. Unlike the Asus, the last one
    > does not have a jumper to terminate the bus - I hope it does auto-
    > termination. But whatever it does, it works for the Mustek.

    *My* brand-less 810 SCSI controller card, which according to
    /proc/scsi/ncr53c8xx/0 is a:

      Chip NCR53C810, device id 0x1, revision id 0x2

    does *not* do any sort of auto termination (I don't believe that any
    810 *does*, but don't quote me). I have to *remove* one (or was it
    two?) little SIL (Single In-Line) resistor packs to *disable*
    termination. This seams to imply that I only have *passive*
    termination at the controller. My (Relisys) Scanner has fixed passive
    termination behind it's nonstandard 25 pin SCSI socket.

    May I recommend the "SCSI FAQ" and the no longer maintained "Linux
    SCSI HOWTO" as two valuable sources of information about SCSI in
    practice.

    Mark

    --
    Mark Plowman,                                            mplowman@wxs.nl