Fwd: Some little quirks in Epson Perfection 610 (epson backend)

From: Kees Lemmens (C.W.J.Lemmens@its.tudelft.nl)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 14:09:26 PST

    Bought a Epson USB Perfection 610 scanner last week and it seems to work quite
    nicely under Linux with help of SANE, the Epson backend and the Linux 2.4.0
    kernel.
    Quite a relief after lot's of trouble I had with Canon, Acer and HP scanners :
    glad that Epson is more willing to support Linux !

    However, I still have a few small problems that probably someone can explain
    to me :

    1) (Only) in color mode the pnm and tiff output is always a little corrupted :
    for pnm "xv" complains that the "file appers to be truncated" and for tiff
    both "imagemagick" and "xv" tell there is a "bogus StripByteCounts field". They
    display however fine. Grayscale has no problems whatsoever.

    2) Writing to a pipe while the other end of the pipe crashes for some reason
    results in an infinite stream of errormessages : "error in receive, status 9".
    Only switching the scanner off can stop this. How can I avoid this ?

    3) Many backend options appear to be "inactive" , like brightness and contrast.
    How is it possible to turn these on ? Or doesn't the scanner itself support this
    functionality ?

    4) Though not inactive the "--gamma-table" option doesn't seem to have any
    effect at all. Is that normal for this scanner ?

    Only rest me to thank to the Epson backend developers for bringing me this
    far.

    Thanks for the help !

    --
     Kees Lemmens,