Re: TODO list

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 10:23:29 PST

    On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 06:32:16PM +0800, kwlee wrote:
    > :( this option of course no need by high-end scanner, but seems "must"
    > for low cost scanner to get consistent quality.

    Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that the warm-up is not necessary.

    > Normally, the lamp reach stable stage will need 1.5 minutes(in my memory)
    > but reach 95% stable will only need about 30 seconds, so most of time
    > we use 30 secs as warm-up count down, but you know no matter 1.5 minutes
    > or 30 secs waiting, users can not tolerate without any prompting message,
    > they maybe thinking your scanner hang-up again, counting down will make
    > them believe their scanner is still alive.

    I see. So maybe we can just add some sort of callback mechanism
    (pseudocode):

    SANE_Status
    sane_set_message_callback (message_call_back_function_pointer m)

    So with using this, the frontend tells the backend that it can handle
    messages.

    In the backend:

    return_value = m ("backend name", "message", "yes", "no");

    So the frontend can pop up a message and return the option the user
    selected.

    In your case you could pop up the message "Remaining time for warm-up:
    xx seconds. Do you want to scan immediately or wait for warm-up?"

    As a work-around for sane 1 you could at least print out some messages
    with DBG(0, "waiting for warm-up (xxx seconds left).").

    > for example, scanner scaned in jpeg mode, but user hope to save as
    > pnm or tif format(this could save many scan time), in such case what
    > will you thinking ?

    Both (frontend and backend) are possible. I don't know too much about
    the image formats and convertion, so maybe someone else can answer to
    this.

    Bye,
     Henning