Re: TODO list

From: Jochen Eisinger (jochen.eisinger@gno.de)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 11:12:41 PST

    Hi!

    [Henning Meier-Geinitz]
    > > Normally, the lamp reach stable stage will need 1.5 minutes(in my memory)
    > > but reach 95% stable will only need about 30 seconds, so most of time
    > > we use 30 secs as warm-up count down, but you know no matter 1.5 minutes
    > > or 30 secs waiting, users can not tolerate without any prompting message,
    > > they maybe thinking your scanner hang-up again, counting down will make
    > > them believe their scanner is still alive.

    Mustek PP scanners also need a warm-up delay... I did the following:

    In sane_open I turn the lamp on and remember, when this was time(NULL).
    This happens when the user starts the frontend. Now the user sets some
    options, etc... and the lamp has it's time to warm-up. If he (the user)
    wants to scan, I check, whether the lamp had long enough (which is
    normally the case) and if not, I do DBG(1, "waiting for lamp") and wait
    until it is "warm". Additionally, I make sure in sane_close that the
    lamp was at least 2 sec on before it is turned off. This avoids a short
    flash with "scanimage --help --device mustek:0x378"

    So far, nobody complained about delays when pressing the "scan"
    button...

    I think we shouldn't start to add such hacks now 2 or 3 weeks before
    feature freeze

    -- jochen