Re: scanjet 5200c usb and redhat 7.1

From: Oliver Neukum (Oliver.Neukum@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 02:15:41 PDT

    > I looked at these two files and the scanner is mentioned in both. The
    > thing I'm wondering about is in /proc/modules. Here are the
    > relevant lines:

    Is the scanner mentioned in connection with the driver ?

    I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID ) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=hid

    This is the entry for an USB mouse. In that line for your scanner the driver
    entry must be correct and not (none).

    > scanner 6464 0 (unused)
    > usb-uhci 20368 0 (unused)
    > usbcore 48352 1 [scanner usb-uhci]
    >
    > From what I can guess, is it the fact that the "(unused)" is there? Is
    > that what tells Linux not to recognize my scanner? Should I delete the
    > "(unused)" and if so what should I put there or what else should be
    > done?

    Unused means: "currently not actively working". It would vanish only during a
    scan. This file by the way cannot be edited.

    Your problem is probably caused by autodetection not working with most USB
    scanners, unless it's a driver issue.
    Try manually setting the device file in the backend's configuration file.

            HTH
                    Oliver Neukum