Announcing the first release of a new driver for HP53xx scanners

From: Oliver Neukum (Oliver.Neukum@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 15:17:55 PDT

    I am pleased to announce the first (but not yet useful) version of a driver
    for the HP53xx series. The driver is far from complete, but detects the
    scanner as a SCSI device. Simple SCSI commands are already working.

    You can have a look at it at:
    http://fachschaft.cup.uni-muenchen.de/~neukum/driver-release-0.0.1.bz2

    For those who don't know this device I'll explain briefly.
    These scanners employ a form of SCSI over USB.
    Thus the driver presents the scanner as a SCSI device to user space.

    I hope for this driver to replace, in finished form, the current unmaintained
    barely working driver in the ac series and will work for inclusion into the
    standard kernel.

            Regards
                    Oliver