Re: HP 7400c info

From: Oliver Neukum (Oliver.Neukum@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 08:48:28 PDT

    On Tuesday, 1. May 2001 14:14, EdHamrick@aol.com wrote:
    > I just got an HP 7400C (2400 dpi flatbed) and traced the commands
    > that it uses. It appears that the scanner is built by Avision, and that
    > the commands are almost identical to those used by the HP 5300C
    > and Minolta Scan Dual.
    >
    > The 7400C VID is 0x03f0 and the PID is 0x0801.

    Noted and shall be added.
    Do you know the Scan Dual ids ?

    > The SCSI Inquiry string is in lower case, and is:
    >
    > "hp scanjet 7400c "
    >
    > It uses the same scsi-over-usb encapsulation that the
    > Minolta Scan Dual and HP 5300C use. It isn't possible
    > to talk to the scanner using scanner.c, since it needs to
    > be able to read a bulk endpoint, write a bulk endpoint
    > and read an interrupt endpoint. It would sure be nice

    You might get it to work with the hp5300 driver in the ac kernels.

    > if someone could finish the kernel scsi->usb driver
    > for Avision scanners. It would also be nice if this

    I now have an HP 5300 and will start working on it at the coming weekend.
    Are you willing to test patches ?

    > scsi->usb driver worked with SCL HP scanners,
    > Epson scanners, and Acer scanners. I have all the

    afaik these don't use scsi over usb.
    Thus, no way.

    > technical information needed to do this, and if someone
    > is willing to finish the driver I'd be happy to give them
    > the technical information I have on this.

    Yes please send me it.

    From the kernel side at least 3 kernel drivers for USB scanners are there to
    stay and probably a fourth will be added.
    In the kernel there is no way to let those which use SCSI and those that do
    use the same driver.

            Regards
                    Oliver