Re: same old "no device" problem

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (henning@meier-geinitz.de)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 10:14:16 PDT

    On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 11:58:49PM -0500, mKlein wrote:
    > The last hurdle lies with this problem that a lot of people seem to
    > have.

    You are talking about the "no device" problem? If scanimage prints the
    "No scanners were identified..." message that just means that. There
    are lots of reasons for the message (scanner not supported, driver not
    load, permission problems, configuration problems etc.).

    > After installing the backend, frontend and xsane, then configuring
    > snapscan.conf and dll.conf to utilize my scanner, I am unable to run
    > xscanimage or xsane from anything but /usr/local/etc/sane.d. Usually
    > I get a "No Devices Available" error from everywhere but that
    > directory.

    That probably means that your config files aren't found. As the
    directory "/usr/local/etc/sane.d" is the default directory I really
    don't know why this happens. Try to use a freshly installed
    sane-backends-1.0.4.tar.gz from www.mostang.com and don't set
    SANE_CONFIG_DIR. That's what's in the sanei/sanei_config.c file:

    /* Search configuration file FILENAME along directory list DIR_LIST
       and return file pointer if such a file exists. FILENAME should be
       a filename with extension (such as "mustek.conf").

         1st: SANE_CONFIG_DIR environment variable.
         2nd: PATH_SANE_CONFIG_DIR set during configuration.
         3rd: Current directory.

       Output: File pointer, or NULL if not found. */

    You can have a look at the code of this file to see if I am right.

    > However, I can dump the executables in /sane.d and symlink them to
    > /usr/local/bin and it runs just fine anywhere from the command line.
    > This is simply a work-around and doesn't help with trying to get them to
    > run as plug-ins in GIMP 1.2. There seems to be nothing I can do to get
    > that part working.

    sanei_config_open() can't find the files in PATH_SANE_CONFIG_DIR
    (which is /usr/local/etc/sane.d if configure wasn't given any
    arguments) so it uses the current directory. That's why it works if
    the executable is placed in sane.d/.

    > A friend mentioned I would have to make sure sane.d was in my
    > path. As a intermediate newbie I can say I know what he is talking
    > about but not how to do that.

    He is right if he says that you can put scanimage to
    /usr/local/etc/sane.d/ and run it just with its name by adding the
    name of the directory to the $PATH environment variable. But that's
    not the right solution.

    To check where sanei_config_open() really looks for the config files
    you can use the following command:

    SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_CONFIG=255 SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=255 scanimage -L

    Probably that's "/etc/sane.d", maybe something left from a distribution or
    pre vious tries with your sane installation.

    > /dev/sg1

    As a workaround, adding a symlink /dev/scanner to /dev/sg1 will work if I
    understood the snapscan backend correctly.

    Bye,
      Henning