same old "no device" problem

From: mKlein (sinycpro@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 21:58:49 PDT

    I decided to tackle scanning this weekend. It is now almost monday and
    I haven't quite gotten it all the way implemented.

    The last hurdle lies with this problem that a lot of people seem to
    have. I just haven't found an answer.

    After installing the backend, frontend and xsane, then configuring
    snapscan.conf and dll.conf to utilize my scanner, I am unable to run
    xscanimage or xsane from anything but /usr/local/etc/sane.d. Usually I
    get a "No Devices Available" error from everywhere but that directory.

    However, I can dump the executables in /sane.d and symlink them to
    /usr/local/bin and it runs just fine anywhere from the command line.
    This is simply a work-around and doesn't help with trying to get them to
    run as plug-ins in GIMP 1.2. There seems to be nothing I can do to get
    that part working.

    My permissions are set correctly, I have been able to scan and save
    images both as root and as a regular user but like I mentioned, only in
    /usr/local/etc/sane.d. I really want to be able to use "xsane" and/or
    "xscanimage" from GIMP, moreover, just being able to run them from the
    command line without having to do this symlink shuffle would be nice as
    well. A friend mentioned I would have to make sure sane.d was in my
    path. As a intermediate newbie I can say I know what he is talking
    about but not how to do that.

    Here is my setup:

    I am using an Acerscan 620ST Prisa on an Adaptec 2940UW

    in sane.d I have my snapscan.conf setup like this:

    /dev/sg1

    and in dll.conf

    snapscan

    my system is Debian 2.2 Potato running Kernel 2.4.4 with both the
    generic and AIC 7xxx driver compiled in.

    Oh and this Sane 1.0.4 and xsane 0.76

    Like I said, I can scan but only under the mentioned conditions. I am
    happy to have gotten this far and would appreciate any suggestions any
    of you may have.

    Thank you,

    matt.