Re: ./configure xsane is failing?

From: Marc Parrish (mpmail@pacbell.net)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 16:18:42 PDT

    Henning,

    > What is the result of just calling sane-config manually?

    [mark@msp mark]$ sane-config
    Usage:
      sane-backends-config --version - show installed script and SANE version
      sane-backends-config --ldflags - linker flags required to link with SANE
      sane-backends-config --libs - libraries required to link with SANE
      sane-backends-config --cflags - compiler flags required to find SANE...
      sane-backends-config --help - show usage info (this message)
      sane-backends-config --help SUBCOMMAND - show help for SUBCOMMAND
      sane-backends-config --prefix - prefix used during SANE compile
      sane-backends-config --exec-prefix - exec-prefix used during SANE compile
    [mark@msp mark]$

    [on a side note here, notice that the usage refers to "sane-backends-config"
    which does not exist. It might be a typo or something in the usage, or maybe
    sane-config just hasn't been renamed to sane-backends-config yet. I don't
    know but thought I would bring it to attention. :) ]

    > Probably the config-scripts can't be run. Maybe it's because
    > /usr/local/bin is not in your $PATH

    Hmmm "env" shows the following:

    PATH=/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:...

    > or they are not executable by the user you tried.

    Which config scripts? Maybe the permissions are messed up on them?

    > To avoid a related problem that may otherwise occur later: check that
    > /usr/local/lib is in /etc/ld.so.conf.

    Yes I read this in the xsane.INSTALL file, but it also states that:

      "For sane-1.0.2 (and later versions) the path to the SANE libs MUST NOT be
    listed in /etc/ld.so.conf"

    So I hesitate to do this without further information.

    Sorry I didn't make it more clear that /usr/local/bin was in our path to
    begin with.

    Any other ideas out there? Please?

    Thanks to all who have already read and responded.

    Marc.