Re: Twain interface

From: Jonathan Buzzard (jonathan@buzzard.org.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 03:56:34 PDT

    Sebastien.Sable@snv.jussieu.fr said:
    > It works well with wine and my scanner driver was working under wine
    > as well, so you just have to get wine source code, modify the ASPI
    > driver so it logs every SCSI command to a buffer, then use this
    > utility to launch every twain command from the driver. And there you
    > are with a nice log of the protocol of your scanner. It is not very
    > readable, but when you don't have anything else, well...

    This may well be of interest to all those using the USB sniff program under
    Windows to reverse engineer their scanners as well.

    The interesting thing is that the difficulty in reverse engineering a
    scanner driver protocol appears to be directly related to the difficulty
    in sniffing the protocol. For parallel port scanners this was always hard
    as they tend to hit the hardware directly. The shift to USB, and the
    development of the USB sniff program for Windows has made sniffing the
    protocol for USB scanners in comparison trivial. As a result SANE backends
    have started popping up.

    JAB.

    --
    Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: jonathan@buzzard.org.uk
    Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195