Re: [dev] Status of NS LM983x USB support (e.g. Bearpaw, Canon 650U, Plustek OpticPro U12)

From: Adam Polkosnik (adam@m80digital.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 14:07:08 PDT

    > Hi,
    >
    > On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 08:21:32AM -0400, DeeCeeOne wrote:
    > > Yes indeed, should we go with generic lm983x (meaning whole line
    starting
    > > >from lm9830) or just the easy way and do only lm9831-lm9833?
    >
    > I think lm9831-33 is enough as the lm9830 is parport, not USB. I
    > didn't even know that there is a lm9833.

    After looking at hp4200 backend and lm9830 data sheet I find it rather
    cumbersome
    support for the whole family(there is some differences in register mapping
    between lm9830 and the rest of the bunch). lm9831-lm9833 is a piece of cake
    since there are almost no differences aside from 48bit capabilities of
    lm9833. Though we'll need a smart way of detecting lm9833 since the standard
    way (register 0x69 (Version Number) has defined the same values for lm9832
    and lm9833). The differences between 31,32, and 33 are minimal and porting
    hp4200 backend (dropping the parallel interface, and ironing out the
    differences in register mapping would be the simplest way to get a working
    backend in shortest time)

    In the next few days I'll focus on:
    - getting as much info on the scanners using those chips ( all sorts of data
    eg. optical resolution, .ini files ,snoopy logs, CIS/CCD, etc.)
    - adapting hp4200 backend to work for lm983[1-3]
    - detecting lm983x (I got a routine for that, except lm9833 needs to be
    added(though I got an idea on how to tell the difference between 32 and 33))
    - detecting the size of DRAM
    - coarse calibration
    - fine calibration

    > I think after we find out about the existing code we should start writing
    some
    > kind of mechanism to set the basic values of the chip depending on the
    > scanner type.

    May I propose an easy approach?
    How does taking those basic values from .ini settings from windoze drivers
    sound?

    should I start a project on sourceforge?

    Best regards,
    Adam