parport and xsane

From: Massimo Maiurana (maiurana@inwind.it)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 12:50:51 PDT

    Hi all,
    after some troubles with mandrake's rpm I will try to compile sane from
    source, hoping it's the right way to make it work. But there's a thing I
    would like to know. I'm using a mustek parallel and I read somewhere in
    man pages that I can't access device from any non-root account, unless I
    do it over the net interface. Does it means I have to install
    sane-frontends to get saned, even if I wanna use xsane and not
    xscanimage? Or doesn't xsane need saned?
    BTW, is there someone who could explain me why in mandrake packages
    there's no /usr/bin/saned but there's a /usr/bin/in.saned instead of?

    TIA
    Ciao,
    -Massimo Maiurana
    maiurana@inwind.it