Re: Getting my scanner to work

From: Frederik Ramm (frederik@remote.org)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 10:01:46 PST

    Bob,

    > Not X Scanimage. It works only if I log in as root and pointy/clicky.
    > It does not work if I su to root and use the command xscanimage in a
    > terminal.

    A slight increase in verbosity might help here :-)

    If you get a message along the lines of "cannot open display ...
    connection to ... refused: client is not authorized ..." then your
    system is of the opinion that user "root" is not allowed to open
    windows on a desktop that belongs to user "bob"; if you're not on a
    network, try entering "xhost +" while you're still bob, i.e. just
    before you su. Don't do that on a network since it enables others to
    sniff out what you're doing.

    Bye
    Frederik

    --