RE: Getting my scanner to work

From: Mark Stewart (mstewart@atg.com)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 09:44:14 PST

     Bob,

    > Hi Mark, et.al.
    >
    > Much of my frustration has been relieved. My new
    > scanner/Adaptec-card/SANE/X Scanimage work beautifully. In root. Which
    > files do I chmod or chown to permit myself as user to access my
    > scanner?
    >
    > This is just the sort of problem that bites a Win95 refugee in the ass.
    > All my other graphics applications work as advertised. That is to say
    > if I point and click K-> Graphics-> Cameleo, DVI Viewer, Fax Viewer,
    > Fractals Generator, Gimp, Icon Editor, Image Viewer, KIllustrator,
    > Paint, PS Viewer, SnapShot, TGif, Xfig, or xv, these applications boot
    > up and I can use them.
    >
    > Not X Scanimage. It works only if I log in as root and pointy/clicky.
    > It does not work if I su to root and use the command xscanimage in a
    > terminal.
    >
    > I think I am close to an answer, but like Tantalus, the grapes are
    > always just out of reach, and the water just below my lips.
    > Unsatisfying.

    Huh? I hadn't actually tried logging in directly; I had always su'd to root
    from my user login. I'll have to try it but first let me see if I understand
    the situation:

    login as user:
            -nothing works
    loging as root:
            -terminal-> 'xscanimage' doesn't work
            -desktop applauncher->xscanimage *does* work

    That doesn't seem right. Is it?

    ::mark