Re: Canoscan FB630U

From: Randolph Bentson (bentson@grieg.holmsjoen.com)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 12:07:25 PST

    On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 04:47:06PM +0100, Ulrich Deiters wrote:
    > But perhaps we should clarify our position first:
    > - Have other scanner manufacturers revealed their vendor-specific
    > scanner commands? If yes, mention this to Canon as a good example.

    Although it took effort to (1) identify the part number for the
    appropriate manual, and (2) finding a supplier of the manual,
    I was able to get the OEM manuals for several Fujitsu scanners.
    These manuals document, as far as I know, all the SCSI commands in
    great detail. Although the manuals were very useful, they were
    incomplete in some details (as is typical with most manuals).
    After a few more phone calls, Fujitsu put me in touch with the
    appropriate technical support personnel for a few more phone calls
    and an exchange of a score e-mail messages.

    Others have since used these drivers to generate support for yet
    other Fujitsu scanners with slightly different features.

    One point I'd emphasize is that although the manuals existed,
    they weren't well known. It took persistance to identify them,
    and then, since Fujitsu doesn't distribute them directly, I
    had to find a supplier.

    It could be that the documentation does exist in some form
    which is unknown to the Canon people so far contacted. The
    current folks might not be aware of what's really needed.
    It might help to identify Canon's representative to the TWAIN
    group.

    --
    Randolph Bentson
    bentson@holmsjoen.com