Re: Canoscan FB630U

From: Ulrich Deiters (ukd@xenon.pc.Uni-Koeln.DE)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 07:47:06 PST

    ... not to write to Canon means giving up!

    But perhaps we should clarify our position first:
    - Have other scanner manufacturers revealed their vendor-specific
      scanner commands? If yes, mention this to Canon as a good example.
    - The poor guy at Canon is probably worrying about the costs of
      developing a new driver, knowing what it cost Canon to do it for
      the various Windows dialects.
      Does he know that things might be easier under Unix?
    - Have you ever thought of setting up a trademark "SANE compatible"
      and award that to scanners whose manufacturers are cooperative?

    Sincerely yours,

    Ulrich Deiters
    University at Cologne