Re: CanoScan FB630U

From: Randolph Bentson (bentson@grieg.holmsjoen.com)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 17:05:52 PST

    On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 11:48:12PM +0000, Simon Heywood wrote:
    > I proceeded to discuss the merits of open source drivers and defended my
    > opinion that releasing programming specs hardly constituted an invitation
    > for industrial espionage, to which he seemed to broadly agree with, even
    > if his managers didn't.

    I once negotiated a NDA with the following term:
      Provided, however, that programs (commonly called "drivers")
      developed for the access and control of XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX and
      other devices and derived from proprietary information in the
      form of programmer reference manuals may be released to the
      general public in both binary and source form.

    --
    Randolph Bentson
    bentson@holmsjoen.com