Re: support for HP 3400C or 4300C?

From: Jonathan Buzzard (jonathan@buzzard.org.uk)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 02:24:12 PST

    domimail@tonnikala.org said:
    > Unfortunately I didn't get your mail before I went to the shop, and I
    > got myself a 3400C. As I mentioned in my previous mail, USB scanners
    > aren't an option since I don't have a USB port on any machine here.

    How old is the machine, as not having a USB port is rather unusual for
    a machine purchase in the last four years. Even if it appears not
    to have USB ports, it may well have them on the motherboard, and all
    you need is a USB backplate to plug into the header on the motherboard
    and take a spare expansion slot up.

    Failing that I would suggest either buying a PCI USB plug in card, getting
    a cheap SCSI card and a SCSI scanner.

    You have checked the parallel port Sane/Linux scanner page? Performance is
    so crap with parallel scanners that I would avoid them like the plague.

    JAB.

    --
    Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: jonathan@buzzard.org.uk
    Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195