Re: Which scanners REALLY provide 36 bit output? HP?

From: Stephen Williams (steve@icarus.com)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 22:30:33 PST

    steveu@coppice.org said:
    > Not at all. The engineering of the eye has the same constraints as any
    > engineering humans do. The eye uses three sensor channels.

    Not exactly. The eye actually has RGB *and luminance* sensors. That is,
    three narrow spectrums and one broad spectrum. The R G and B sensors overlap
    in their sensitivity range, but in low light, peripheral vision or during
    hypoxia the color sensors are not available at all.

    There are other complexities, but you probably know that.

    At any rate, my point is that there is more to archiving an image of a
    precious document then the depth of RGB intensities.

    steve@icarus.com              But I have promises to keep,
    steve@picturel.com            and lines to code before I sleep,