Re: Which scanners REALLY provide 36 bit output? HP?

From: Steve Underwood (steveu@coppice.org)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 19:04:11 PST

    Stephen Williams wrote:

    > many colors together. It is a miraculous stroke of technical luck that most
    > color perceptions can be aliased to colors produced from small sets of
    > primaries.

    Not at all. The engineering of the eye has the same constraints as any
    engineering humans do. The eye uses three sensor channels. If we do the same in
    imaging systems, we can fool the eye into thinking an image is a reasonably
    accurate representation of the original. There is no luck involved. To an
    animal with different colour sensing our TV pictures probably look very odd. I
    wonder what a dog thinks of a TV's colour fidelity?

    Regards,
    Steve