Re: Slide scanner

From: Warren Young (tangent@cyberport.com)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 03:37:40 PST

    Ilya Ovchinikov wrote:

    > The scanner parameters should not be limiting factor wheh resulting image is
    > seen on CRT monitor or printed on a ink-jet printer on A4 paper. Therefore,
    > 1800 dpi is in principle enough.
    >
    > Price should be less than $700.

    I'm using the D'Image Scan Speed right now. It's been replaced by the
    Scan Elite, but you may be able to find the Speed for $700. It was in
    the low $900s the last time I saw it being offered retail, but that was
    a year ago. It works just fine in Linux with VueScan.

    Don't forget to pay attention to things other than DPI, particularly the
    D-range. A D3.6 scanner will do a whole lot better, particularly with
    slides, than a 3.0 scanner.

    --
    = Warren -- ICBM Address: 36.8274040 N, 108.0204086 W, alt. 1714m