Re: SANE can't see Epson Perfection 1200S

From: Malcolm Farmer (mfarmer@smilodon.uklinux.net)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 15:45:49 PDT

    It's fixed!

    > > I'm running Slackware 7.1, SANE-1.0.3: make failed on compiling a couple
    > > of backends, when they tried to include files I don't have - e.g. one was
    > > an include for OS/2(?)
    >
    > Oops, this shouldn't happen. Could you please send the error messages of the
    > compiler/make and say a bit more about your system: processor, compiler,
    > libraries?

    So I could get the error messages again I unpacked the whole lot from the
    tar file into a fresh directory. *This* time round, make ran perfectly and
    installed OK, and
    scanimage -d epson:/dev/scanner
    kicked the scanner into life, and a load of scan bytes got dumped to the
    screen. Two minutes later I was running xsane.
    I think I must have got the configuration seriously screwed up somehow in
    my earlier tries, but doing the whole thing again from scratch in a new
    directory fixed it - I'd previously unpacked stuff into the same directory
    when trying a redo from start...
    Sorry to have wasted your time.

     I must offer my congratulations to the writers of SANE, xsane and the
    Epson backend for some fabulous work. I've just done some trial scans
    in B&W and colour at varying resolutions - it works beautifully and it's
    *nice* to use. Having used and hated the horrible Windows driver for HP
    scanners (the one with the picture of the parrot), I think the xsane
    interface is wonderful!

    I am a happy scanner now.

    Malcolm Farmer
    mfarmer@smilodon.uklinux.net