Re: Rescan SCSI Bus

From: Rene Rebe (rene.rebe@myokay.net)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 09:44:49 PDT

    Hi!

    Devfs (currently only in the kernel series 2.3.x or as patch) is
    another good idea, too.

    http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/kernel-patches.html

    With devfs you have a fine stuctured device tree in /dev.

    ie: /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target6/lun0/generic
    is my scanner cause it ever has scsi-id 6 ... ;-)

    Douglas Gilbert <dgilbert@interlog.com> wrote:

    > Steffen Vogelreuter wrote:
    > >
    > > My scanner was off during reboot. I wanted my scanner work without another reboot
    > > and I used the echo command from the FAQ but the scanner was detected as sg3
    > > and not as sg2 as he is detected at normal reboot. After that SANE returns "no
    > > devices available" How can I tell the echo to use the scanner as sg2 or SANE to
    > > use sg3.
    >
    > You can't. Once a sg mapping (sd, sr, or st mapping) has been
    > established then 'echo "scsi add-single-device ..." ' will
    > not change that mapping but append the new device.
    >
    > What you may be able to do is remove the device occupying
    > /dev/sg2 (with 'remove-single-device') and then add your
    > scanner followed by the re-adding the device that originally
    > occupied /dev/sg2 . This would not be a good idea if
    > /dev/sg2 was a disk containing your root file system.
    >
    > There are other possibilities as well. See the FAQ (question
    > 4.6) at: http://www.torque.net/sg/faq.html .
    > The 'scsidev' utility might be a useful addition to the
    > SANE release for people who have several SCSI devices
    > which are not always present at boot.
    >
    > Doug Gilbert

    k33p h4ck1n6 René

    --
    René Rebe (Registered Linux user: #127875)
    http://www.rene.rebe.myokay.net/

    Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged $25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from this message or its header, you agree to these terms.