Re: Rescan SCSI Bus

From: Douglas Gilbert (dgilbert@interlog.com)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 09:01:37 PDT

    Steffen Vogelreuter wrote:

    > My scanner was off during reboot. I wanted my scanner work without another reboot
    > and I used the echo command from the FAQ but the scanner was detected as sg3
    > and not as sg2 as he is detected at normal reboot. After that SANE returns "no
    > devices available" How can I tell the echo to use the scanner as sg2 or SANE to
    > use sg3.

    You can't. Once a sg mapping (sd, sr, or st mapping) has been
    established then 'echo "scsi add-single-device ..." ' will
    not change that mapping but append the new device.

    What you may be able to do is remove the device occupying
    /dev/sg2 (with 'remove-single-device') and then add your
    scanner followed by the re-adding the device that originally
    occupied /dev/sg2 . This would not be a good idea if
    /dev/sg2 was a disk containing your root file system.

    There are other possibilities as well. See the FAQ (question
    4.6) at: http://www.torque.net/sg/faq.html .
    The 'scsidev' utility might be a useful addition to the
    SANE release for people who have several SCSI devices
    which are not always present at boot.

    Doug Gilbert