(bit off topic) Re: Lineart with xsane/mustek (Was: Patch for sane.tex (image pol arit y))

From: Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 11:04:38 PDT

    On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 10:17:32AM +0100, Collins, Martin wrote:
    > I tried Nick's suggestion last night, specifying a pbm file extension
    > does give a 1-bit file, which is good. It would be better if sane
    > automatically created a 1-bit pnm for lineart though.
    > I will try the debug thing tonight Henning, if I get time.

    Glad that worked.

    > Now I have to figure out how to stop the gimp from converting my nice
    > 1-bit files to greyscale when I process them. It doesn't appear to
    > have an option to write 1-bit files.

    Nope, no 1-bit, 4-bit, 16-bit or other weird pixel formats in Gimp, sorry.
    Converting to INDEXED, black and white will remove all the other colors,
    and for some file types significantly reduce the size of the resulting
    file, but probably more could be done for people trying to save space
    like you. Perhaps in 1.3.x / 2.0

    Nick.