Re: will my scanner work

From: Timothy Little (tim@lilly-villa.little-possums.net)
Date: Sat Sep 23 2000 - 22:32:39 PDT

    On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 08:46:36PM +0200, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
    > Another solution would be to develop a driver for your scanner on your own

    My Agfa SnapScan 1212U doesn't work under SANE, so I'd like to have a
    go at fixing it. Where would I start?

    I've got sane-1.0.3 and linux-2.4.0-test9-pre6. I've tried hand
    crafting the USB patches to work with sane-1.0.3, but it fails to
    recognise my scanner's existence even after I got the patches to
    apply. (The same thing happens under kernel 2.2.15 with USB backport)

    I've followed all the documentation I could find on the 1212U, it
    seems to be the older one that doesn't use firmware upload. How do I
    debug the problem? I've tried 'export SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=255', but
    all it tells me is

      [snapscan] add_device: error opening device /dev/usb/scanner0:
    Invalid argument

    I can see the scanner in /proc/bus/usb, with the expected vendor ID
    numbers. Does anyone have a working 1212U? If so, how?

    - Tim