Problems with Mustek 1200 SP, mode color

From: Paul Aschenborn (paul.aschenborn@kawo2.rwth-aachen.de)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 14:53:16 PDT

    Hello Folks,

    I had several problem with color scan with following configuration:
    2.2.16 Kernel
    ncr810 scsi controller
    mustek paragon 1200sp scanner
    sane-packet 1.0.3

    The scanner has a physical resolution of 1200 dpi, color. Black/white and gray
    scanned images work perfect, I have no trouble at all, but when I switch to
    color scan, I have some fancy effect I can not use at all.
    First of all the color dont match with the real ones. The are totally shifted
    into
    blue, green or red. Well not just shifted, that I could correct ...
    The most remarkeable thing about it is, that it is reproduceable and the
    type of the wrong color depends on the used resolution. So scanning at
    120 dpi ist a blue like image without any red scanning with 125 dpi becomes
    more and more green ...
    Additionally I get some "bad lines" in the pictures, they repeat in a constant
    frequent all over the image. If the image is dark, those lines (1-3 pixel
    broad)
    are bright and visa versa.

    Since there are no options in the mustek.conf I tried out so change almost
    everything
    I can. The problem is the same with different types of images, different
    kernels (2.2.14 - 2.2.17)
    and I even plugged a Adaptec 2490 in. All the same error.
    Then I realized, that the scanner is recognized as Mustek 12000 SP and not as
    1200 SP.
    As far as I know the only difference are some cheaper mechanical parts in the
    12000, so I
    dont know if there is something wrong.

    I would be really glad if someone could give me a hint where to look at and
    where to solve that
    problem.

    At last I got another question: I configured saned to scan via network (this
    does not affect the
    problem above in anything - it occurs when scanning on local device and over
    net ...)
    Now I did some "scanimage -dnet:computer:mustek:/dev/scanner ..." which worked
    fine.
    But scanning with the X-frontends like xsane, xscanimage refused with the
    message
    "no device found".
    How can I teach them to use the network - scanner ??

    Thanks for anything that helps me.

    Greetings,
    Paul