Re: How to get Started ?

From: Petter Reinholdtsen (pere@hungry.com)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 20:21:52 PDT

    [Moritz Angermann]
    > Hi all .. I'm 16 and from Germany .. I'd like to write a
    > Back/frontend for Sane for the Umax astra 1220U But i realy don'T
    > know where to get the information about writing an front/backend
    > ..... Micght be you can help .... THX

    Well, according to
    <URL:http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html>, the
    backend is aready written. I suspect a SCSI over USB protocol is
    used.

    If you want to write your own frontend, the SANE API documentation
    (for example on the web) should be sufficient, but please let us know
    if it needs better descriptions.

    You would probably be better off improving one of the existing
    frontends, XSane is in a good shape, and if there are features missing
    I'm sure the author will accept your contribution. This way a good
    program gets better. Starting a separate project from scratch tends
    to make one "bad" project and fail to improve the good project.

    Anyway, good luck.

    --
    ##>  Petter Reinholdtsen  <##  |  pere@td.org.uit.no