Re: SANE on Linux/x86 with SCSI ISA card

From: Ivo (death@metalfield.com)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 01:58:52 PDT

    > This is most likely some NCR5380-based card. Use the generic driver,
    > g_NCR5380. Look at the Windows configuration for the port or memory
    > address and the IRQ. You have to recompile the g_NCR5380 module if it
    > is configured to use a port and your card uses a memory address, or
    > vice versa.

    Actually, the sane-scsi manpage made me think, because it claims that the SCSI
    ISA cards that are shipped with Mustek scanners (I'm still not sure this really
    is a Mustek scanner since it doesn't say anything about Mustek on the box, but
    it is listed as supported in the Mustek back-end ;)) -- anyway, it says that
    those cards are generally very bad quality and it goes on about that the
    scanning process will probably eat up all resources because they have no
    interrupt line; and that I should by a cheap NCR810 card ;)

    But anyway, this kernel has a SYM53C8XX driver that "supports all the features
    of recent 53C8XX chips (used in PCI SCSI controllers), notably the Hardware
    phase mismatch feature of the SYM53C896." It guess I should use that one; it's
    already compiled in, though. Guess I need to read drivers/scsi/README.ncr53c8xx
    and try to manually configure it *shrugs*

    Ivo