Re: weird speed difference with parallel port scanner

From: mh (moloch@nikocity.de)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 08:55:48 PDT

    "G. Jaeger, Son, 13 Aug 2000 ":
    > Hi Michael,
    >
    > I currently can't figure out, why the detection
    > of EPP should be other with or without printer!
    >
    > The driver gets this information out of the
    > parport driver, so I think the problem is inside
    > this one...
    >
    > Anyway, I'll try to get the same configuration and test it..
    >
    > Gerhard
    Hi Gerhard,
    I think you're right - this seems to be a problem in the parport driver :-(
    This is the debug output with a standalone scanner connected
    to the parport; the port mode *is* set to EPP in the BIOS.

    Requested port at 0x378
    Requested port (0x378) found
    Port mode reported: (0x0001)
    Port registered
    ptdrvOpen(port=0x378)
    Try to claim the parport
    Using SPP-mode

    Yesterday I made some hacks in your driver. I changed the function
    "miscSetPortMode(pScanData ps)" in "misc.c" the way the use of
    EPP mode is forced by adding the line

        port_feature = PARPORT_MODE_PCEPP;
    right after the line
        port_feature = initPortProbe( ps );

    As you can see, the reported port mode is still
    0x0001 (= PARPORT_MODE_PCSPP). The
    plustek driver /scanner however works without problems in EPP mode.
    (==normal speed)

    Requested port at 0x378
    Requested port (0x378) found
    Port mode reported: (0x0001)
    Port registered
    ptdrvOpen(port=0x378)
    Try to claim the parport
    Using EPP-mode

    Hmm, IIRC there was an option in previous versions of
    the plustek driver that allowed one to set the port mode manually?

    But I think, this is quite OT for sane-devel now. (Maybe I should give the
    people on parport-devel the needle with this question).
    For the moment the hack works for me, and since it seems I'm the only one with
    this problem, there probably isn't a need for further investigation.
    On the other hand, if you can figure out what the real problem is, I would be
    glad to hear about it!

    Thanks a lot and happy driver hacking
    Michael