Re: man page sane-scsi

From: Douglas Gilbert (dgilbert@interlog.com)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 20:58:29 PDT

    Bob van der Poel wrote:

    > 1. Just a comment on this page. In the linux section it talks about
    > scanners not being turned on at boot/powerup and using the line:
    >
    > echo "scsi add-single-device 2 0 5 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

    Works for me. Assuming the aha152x is the only SCSI adapter
    in your system then that "2" above should be a "0".

    > I've not been able to get this to work. However, simply doing something
    > like:
    >
    > modprobe /lib/modules/...path to scsi mods/aha152x.o
    >
    > works perfectly. Might want to add this to the docs.
    >
    > 2. Now, can someone help with this....I never needed to do the above
    > until just recently when I added cd-burner using the pseudo=scsi driver.
    > I have the following in my /etc/conf.modules:
    >
    > alias scsi_hostadapter aha152x
    > post-install sg modprobe aha152x
    > options aha152x aha152x=0x140,9
    >
    > and I'm thinking that I need to change it.

    Assuming its an IDE cdwriter and you're using the ide-scsi pseudo
    driver then you shouldn't need to anything with those lines
    in /etc/conf.modules .

    You may need to convince the IDE subsystem not to take control
    of the cd writer. This can be done by:
      - not building in the ide-cd driver
      - building in that driver and putting a line like this into lilo:
           append="hdb=ide-scsi"
      - build the ide-cd driver as a module and if it must be loaded
        (e.g. to control another cd reader) then invoke it like this:
            modprobe ide-cd ignore=hdb

    [N.B. In the forthcoming lk 2.4 that append in the second bullet
    changes to: append="hdb=scsi" ]

    > But, I don't see what?? Oh,
    > should the 'sg' be changed to the 'sgb' since this is now my scanner
    > device? I really don't understand this entire sg* stuff...I was under
    > the impression that the whole works was supposed to be dynamic, but here
    > I am still manually setting things up. Had to set the cdrom to use
    > 'sga'...

    No, don't change 'sg' to 'sgb'

    Look at the output of 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi'. The order that devices
    appear there is the same order sg allocates device numbers (i.e.
    sg0, sg1 ...) or the now deprecated driver letters (i.e. sga, sgb ...).
    If the ide-scsi and aha152x drivers are modules (which seems to
    be the case) then by controlling the order of the module loads
    then you will control which device is sg0 and sg1 .

    Clear?

    Doug Gilbert