Resetting HP scanners

From: Jonathan Johnson (skipj@teleport.com)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 13:30:33 PDT

    Hello, everyone,

    Please forgive me if this has been hashed and rehashed, but this is my
    first time mailing to the list.

    I came across a tidbit of information regarding HP scanners: if it
    starts doing weird stuff (funny noises, garbled images, etc.), there's a
    simple, though tedious method to reset the scanner. I've had success in
    using this method to fix my own HP ScanJet 5p (SCSI). I don't know for
    sure that it will work with other scanners.

    Here's the trick:

    1) Disconnect scanner from the SCSI chain and all other SCSI devices.
    2) With the power switch ON, unplug the scanner for 10 seconds.
    3) Plug the scanner in for 10 seconds.
    4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 twice (total of 3 cycles)
    5) Reconnect the scanner to the system. It should now work.

    --Jonathan Johnson
    skipj@teleport.com