Re: please help. Microtek v300 device I/O error

From: Roberto A. F. Almeida (roberto@calvin.ocfis.furg.br)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 20:47:02 PDT

    Marcel Pol escreveu (Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 07:40:25PM +0200):

    > On 18-Jul-00 Doug Wilson wrote:
    > > The scanner is a Microtek Scanmaker V300 parallel port scanner. I'm
    > > running Linux Mandrake 2.2.9-19mdk. It was quite a struggle, but I
    > > managed to install the ppscsi kernel patches. I can load ppscsi, sg,
    > > and onscsi with insmod without a problem. When I run 'scanimage -d
    > > microtek2:/dev/sga', however, I get "Error during device I/O." I looked
    > > through the san-devel mailing list archives and found that someone else
    > > had a similar problem, but I never saw an answer ... just advice to set
    > > SANE_DEBUG_MICROTEK2=30 and publish the results. I did that.
    > It happens to me too that i get i/o errors.
    > Strange thing is it happens even more with Sane 1.0.2 then with Sane 1.0.1.
    > The firmware could make a difference, you should at least use Firmware 1.60 is
    > what i've heard. There was just a mailing about that this week. My scanner has
    > firmware 2.1 but it still happens, but well, maybe less then with older
    > versions of the firmware.
    > i tried my scanner with the cheap adaptec isa card, and it didn't seem to make
    > much difference, so a cheap scsi card might not be the solution. I don't know
    > if an expensive scsi card would make a difference.

    I have a Genius ColorPage EP, which is actually a Microtek V300 parallel
    port scanner packed by Genius. I checked the FCC ID and found that it was
    made by Microtek, and the both scanners have the same specifications.

    I installed ppscsi, changed sane source code so that it would detect my
    scanner as a V300, but I still couldn't get it to work. I can insmod ppscsi,
    onscsi, and the scanner is correctly detected, but it locks when I try to
    scan anything with scanimage.

    I think maybe the problem is with the firmware, but this is wild guess. I'm
    a little clueless here: what is a firmware? :) Can I download a new version
    from somewhere and put it in my scanner? How do I do this? Or should I set
    SANE_DEBUG_MICROTEK2=30 and publish the results?

    One other question: you said you tried your scanner with a SCSI card. My
    scanner is a parallel port model, but it has a third port (one for printer,
    one for the computer, and the third) undocumented. Is is a SCSI port? Yes, I
    have never seen a SCSI port before. :)

    I would appreciate any help, it's been 2 years since I'm trying to make this
    scanner work with Linux.

    TIA,

    Roberto

    --