Re: please help. Microtek v300 device I/O error

From: Marcel Pol (mpol@gmx.net)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 06:30:28 PDT

    On 19-Jul-00 Roberto A. F. Almeida wrote:
    > I have a Genius ColorPage EP, which is actually a Microtek V300 parallel
    > port scanner packed by Genius. I checked the FCC ID and found that it was
    > made by Microtek, and the both scanners have the same specifications.
    >
    > I installed ppscsi, changed sane source code so that it would detect my
    > scanner as a V300, but I still couldn't get it to work. I can insmod ppscsi,
    > onscsi, and the scanner is correctly detected, but it locks when I try to
    > scan anything with scanimage.
    >
    > I think maybe the problem is with the firmware, but this is wild guess. I'm
    > a little clueless here: what is a firmware? :) Can I download a new version
    >>from somewhere and put it in my scanner? How do I do this? Or should I set
    > SANE_DEBUG_MICROTEK2=30 and publish the results?

    The firmware is the software embedded in your scanner. When you insmod the
    ppscsi modules, it will be listed in your /var/log/messages. If not then try
    "sgcheck" or "cat /proc/scsi/scsi".
    i've been told you need at least firmware 1.60, because the versions before
    that one don't function very well.
    There was a mailing about firmware 1.60 which was made available.

    What I don't know about this is if it is possible to read the firmware and then
    make it available to other scanners. If that's possible i would want to give
    that a try, my scanner has firmware 2.10.

    > One other question: you said you tried your scanner with a SCSI card. My
    > scanner is a parallel port model, but it has a third port (one for printer,
    > one for the computer, and the third) undocumented. Is is a SCSI port? Yes, I
    > have never seen a SCSI port before. :)

    The Microtek2 scanner i now have came with a cheap adaptec isa card. The
    microtek(1) scanner i had and still have was a parport model. It surprised me
    that the cables had the same 25-pin plug on the computerside and sort of the
    same 50-pin plug on the scanner-side. I tried it first with the scsi-card, and
    then with the parport cable of the old scanner. I'm lazy, so i didn't change it
    yet.
    The third port on my scanner has 15 pins, but i don't know what it is for, i
    have never used it.

    Marcel Pol

    mpol@nospam.gmx.net
    http://mpol.dhs.org